Choose Year - Search News - Latest News


No return, despite fine display

Another good display but no return for effort.

Kildare County  1             Limerick 37         2

After watching several good displays over recent games but little by way of points on the board one would be forgiven for asking what the Thoroughbreds have to do to earn their first win of the season. Kildare played some of the best football seen at Station Road for many a day, particularly in the first half. When Cathal Brady found the visitors net after 26 minutes it looked as if John Ryan’s side would go on to clock up the much desired three points.

County were quickly into their stride and after just two minutes Ciaran Kilduff should have done better when he got on the end of Colin Fortune’s delightful chip over the top but the striker shot across the face of goal from a tight angle.

County continued to test the Limerick defence and in the sixteenth minute Fortune floated in a free from the right for Philly Gorman to beat keeper Dave Ryan to the ball but he directed his header just wide of the post.As frustration began to show in the Limerick side Brendan Daly found himself booked for a clumsy challenge on Colin Fortune. Kilduff climbed above keeper Daly to meet Fortunes free and his header incredibly hit the inside of the right post and was hacked away to safety.

Eventually the home side’s pressure paid off. John Broderick sent in a cross from the right and Philly Gorman rose with Peter Whyte. Gorman won the contest and nodded down for Cathal Brady, who finished superbly, beating Dave Ryan at his near post.Limerick’s first shot on target came after 41 minutes but Chukwuma Manjor’s take effort did not trouble Charlie Treacy.

Limerick scored totally against the run of play on the stroke of half time. Jonathan Grant crossed from the right but Brophy cleared with ease. His clearance however fell to Tommy Barrett 40 yards out and he sent in a wind assisted shot which flew over keeper Treacy a dipped just under the bar.

County again started well after the break and Barry Clancy sent a through ball into the path of Paul Donnelly but Ryan was quick off his line to deny him. Three minutes Donnolly was again in on goal following a superb through ball from Colin Fortune but Ryan saved brilliantly.

Another great chance to regain the lead fell to the Thoroughbreds in the 57th. minute. Colin Fortune found Alan Clarke on the left and continued his run into the box. Fortune dummied Clarke’s cross to Philly Gorman, who controlled superbly and really should have scored from ten yards. The keeper once again brought off a fine save.

Dave Ryan was again his sides saviour just past the hour when Fortune sent Kilduff in but the strikers well struck shot was again brilliantly saved. On a rare breakout Limerick took a shock lead. Ross Cosgrove broke up the Kildare right and his cross eluded Treacy and James hynes headed home from close range.

A shell shocked Kildare drove forward and Philly Gorman’s volley from 25yards was again held by keeper Ryan. A desperately unlucky Ciaran Kilduff hit  the inside of the post for the second time with thirteen minutes remaining. John Brophy took a throw from Alan Clarke and crossed into the box and Kilduff again won the aerial battle with keeper Dave Ryan but his glancing header hit the inside of the post  and came back into play.

As time ran out County pressed forward in an effort to retrieve something from a game that they should have won comfortably and with space opening up at the back Bruton had two chances to add a Limerick third.

Kildare: Treacy, Clarke, Clancy, Roche, (Robinson 72), Brophy, Broderick (Mooney 59), Donnelly, Fortune, Brady, Gorman, Kilduff: subs not used: Slattery, Harte, O’Neill

Limerick 37: Ryan, Whyte, Cleary, Danagher, Barrett, Hayes, Grant (Fogary 52), Daly, Manjor (Curtin 87), McCarthy (Cosgrove 63) Bruton: subs not used FitzPatrick, Quinlivan.

Referee: D Coombes (Dublin)     



Choose Year - Search News - Latest News