Choose Year - Search News - Latest News


Kildare fall to Waterford

Kildare County 1 Waterford Utd 2

A hotly disputed penalty by Dave Warren was enough to lift Waterford Utd above Dundalk and into second place of the Eircom League Division1.

Following on from Dundalk’s surprise home defeat to Limerick 37 on Thursday night, Waterford knew that a win would be enough to lift them into second place and even though their eventual winner could be classed as controversial, there is no doubt that the better team won on the night.

Gareth Cronin’s side created some excellent chances through the first half and it was something of a surprise that the two sides went into the half time break scoreless.

Waterford started brightly with Michael Foley’s improvised back heel going just wide of the Kildare post in the opening minute.


Kildare were not without their chances though. After ten minutes Barry Clancy cut in from the left wing and crossed to the back post for the unmarked Kilduff. Kilduff however just failed to get his head on the ball. Seven minutes later Willy Tyrell found himself in a similar position but he failed to get his header on target.


After 21 minutes Colin Fortune brilliantly sent Cathal Brady free but his well struck effort was deflected out for a corner by Kenny Browne.


County's best chance of the game fell to Philly Gorman just after the half hour. Fortune sent a well measdured pass inside FitzGerald to the overlapping Barry Clancy. Clancy cut the ball back to Brady but Gorman just failed to connect with Brady's cross.  

After 35 minutes, Karl Bermingham could only divert Kevin Waters cross straight at Austin O’Neill from inside the six yard box.

Waterford continued to be better side as the half drew to a close and Dave Warren crashed a superb 35 yard effort off the Kildare crossbar two minutes before the break. Kenny Browne then went close with a header from Warren’s cross in first half injury time.

The visitors didn’t have long to wait in the second half to open the scoring when skipper David Breen scored from close range after Waters had flicked on Warren’s cross.

That goal finally sparked Kildare into life and Kenny Browne superbly headed Barry Slattery’s 25 yard strike off the line after 52 minutes folling a superb Colin Fortune free, with Packie Holden beaten all ends up.

Browne turned villain nine minutes later when he turned Cathal Brady’s cross into his own net under pressure from Kilduff, as Kildare equalised.

Warren held his nerve to give Waterford the lead from the penalty spot in the 68th minute, when Willie Tyrell was harshly adjudged to have fouled Karl Bermingham and despite Kildare finishing the game with five forwards, Waterford held on for a vital win.

Kildare County (4-4-2): O’Neill; Donnelly (Brophy 82), Roche (Isaaka 75), Tyrell, Clancy; Brady, Fortune, Kavanagh, Slattery(Robinson 85); Kilduff, Gorman.

Subs not used: Broderick, Treacy.

Waterford Utd (4-4-2): Holden, Fitzgerald, Breen, Browne, Clarke; Mulcahy (Dunphy 57), Warren, Waters, Foley; Sullivan (Grincell 78), Bermingham. Subs not used: Hayes, Spicer.

Referee: Paul Tuite (Dublin).


Click on link below for highlights


Choose Year - Search News - Latest News